Tuesday, 5 July 2011

A New World Order song 10 - Slave Song

I actually think that Slave Song is one of the best songs that I have ever written and recorded, and it was recorded very quickly.

The song itself was based on some poetry I was reading from the Caribbean, which is a favourite of mine.  It inspired me to write a few songs in fact, but I have never recorded the other songs.  I was intending on writing a musical about racism through generations of the same family, but never got around to it.  That is still something that does interest me but I will probably never get around to it.

The words to the song came relatively easy, I think because they were loosely based on a specific poem, but I'm not sure now.  The chords and melody too just seemed to come out.

Recording wise it was quick as well.  I'd recorded myself playing and singing the song on a little tape deck at home, which I then played back and recorded that plus myself playing another guitar part, and carried this on for the bass line and tin whistle.  This way I had already got the parts practised ready for recording in the studio, with John Sampson engineering (check out the band SWIMMING with him, Joff and Andy Wright in).

First to go down was the lead vocal and acoustic rhythm guitar, which included a count-in for the eventual overdubs, which didn't end up coming in then, but I like the fact that the song starts with a count-in.

I think the next things to be put down where the bongos, and then the maracas.  Both of these I believe came in initially at the same time as the guitar, but John thought that it would be better to come in at the vocal, and I agreed.

Next thing to go down was the bass guitar, then the tin whistle, and finally the lead guitar.

It was all recorded very quickly.  Probably less than half an hour I think for every instrument to be put down.  I worked quickly back then because, as I said, I had practised a lot.

HERE IS THE SONG!

Thank you for reading, please take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment