Monday, 18 July 2011

A New World Order song 21 - Journeyman

Again this is a song from the first session that included Slave Song, etc.  Perhaps I was more prolific then because I was in a period of unemployment, and always had the acoustic guitar or bass out.

This song just seemed to almost write itself.  The lyrics came very quickly, and the music seemed to  just have a great feel immediately.  Sometimes you just come up with words, and have no idea where they're from.

The chords are simple really, and I sort of like the fact that the lines aren't always perfect.

Recording was a simple affair.  I had done the initial eight songs with John engineering, and there was an hour left maybe, so he suggested that  I just use 20 minutes to record what I wanted to.  This was the fifth of five songs in that time.

So, there I am playing live (acoustic guitar. vocal, and harmonica in a harness).  As I finished, John explained that the time allowed by the computer's software only allowed so long as the limit of recording time and it had run out just shy of the finish of the song.  What we had done basically was just to start recording and keep playing without swapping to a different file on the computer.

That recording was then split and edited to the five separate songs, and Journeyman here faded out due to the ending being missed.  It sort of gives the impression that even though the music had ended, I didn't want to stop.  Very much how it was that day in a way (and is most of the time I'm in the studio I might add).

I like the song very much, despite the obvious digital glitch in there.  Like most of A New World Order, a basic arrangement and quickly recorded to catch the moment and just recording the songs without flowery production (that would come with Colours and the forthcoming One Day set).

HERE IS THE SONG!

Thank you for reading, please take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment