Thursday, 17 September 2020

The Walk Home

 


Hi. I hope you’re all okay.

Here I am walking home from a night shift, and being such a doofus I don’t have my headphones, so it’s the sound of an industrial estate for half of the journey, and a main road for the other half...

A little bit of beautiful birdsong, but unfortunately drowned out for the most part by cars, vans, lorries, machinery, and motorbikes.

The constant cacophony of all of the slightly more distant sounds merged to create a loud white noise, while I look around to see so many closed down signs from some of the premises where noise isn’t stemming from.

I also see metal fences, wire fences, metal clad buildings, and glass windows a plenty.

Some old brick factories still exist, which are just sad reminders of the industries that once were, now replaced by fly by night business ideas, all made the more flimsy by the current world state.

As I step off the estate, up a staircase to a bridge on the main road, it’s now a constant flow of traffic, where some of the previously mentioned cacophony possibly originated?

A retail park is across the road, showing a reason for the downturn of town centres and city centres.  

Train station to the left.  I’ve been on a few trains from there before... I used to like train journeys! Looking out of the window, imagining those people’s lives, seeing the scenery... 

The cows, horses, and sheep in the fields. Trees, crops, flowers, tractors, ploughs, hay bales, combine harvesters....

Not here though!

Just cars, vans, lorries, noise... 

There’s wasteland to the right now, and the “not open until 8am” vehicle parts place to the left. 

A garage to the left now who have a Mini I’m waiting to find out the price for! It needs work doing to it first.

Just five more minutes, and then home to the love of my life.

I’ll just keep walking.

Thank you for reading. Take care.

September 18th 2020 (49 years, 10 months, and 23 days old)


No comments:

Post a Comment